mercredi, février 28, 2007

Depression Era "Rice Wine" recipe



My wife spent the other night at her grandmother's and came across this in the recipe book. we're going to whip up a batch this weekend.

Rice Wine

  • 2 Gallons Boiling water
  • 3 Small Cakes Fleishman Yeast (allow water to cool first.)
  • 4 lbs Rice
  • 4 Boxes Raisins
  • 6 lbs Sugar
  • 2 oranges cut up

Stir Every morning for 21 days.

Then, put through filtering paper.

Put paper in colander and let filter through several days.

NOTE: Do not add Raisins and rice to wine. Just squeeze out through paper.

I'm think that the average size of a box of raisins in the depression was probably 1/4 or even less than a super size box of raisins today. Other than that it looks pretty straightforward. I know I need to be careful to be sterile based on previous bottled biology experiments I've had.

I'm open to suggestions for altering the recipe. Some limes might be interesting, might be nicely refreshing once it gets warm.

Libellés :

1 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I've read that contact with any citrus while making rice wine can turn the wine into vinager. So lime might not be a good idea. Thank you for posting your recipe btw. :)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home